In 1981, a white father born in Spain named César Fernández de la Pradilla formed a first team of herbalists of five members, recruited from young villagers in Pabré, a town where there is a small seminary where he taught natural sciences.
Given the strong demand of patients coming mainly from the capital located about twenty kilometers away, the Cooperativa de Herboristería Pabré decided to settle in Ouagadougou.
In 1993 Phytosalus, is constituted as Cooperative
Since May 25, 1999, an agreement signed with the Government of Burkina Faso grants it the status of Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) for traditional medicine.
Currently, Phytosalus, which employs more than 50 direct and indirect workers, has a laboratory for the preparation of improved traditional medicines, a multipurpose center in Pabré, with official headquarters in Ouagadougou and branches in the national territory and abroad. . In addition to contributing to the creation and operation of traditional therapist networks and associations, Phytosalus is today a privileged partner and partner of public health actors, organizations and institutions involved in grassroots development programs.
The NGO PHYTOSALUS supports:
- African Traditional Complementary Medicine
- Advice and guidance to improve health
- Training in the African ethnomedicine sciences
- The preservation of biodiversity
- Stable workstations in the area
- The use of plants in the area with properties for various ailments and diseases, contrasted by their equipment for more than 30 years with more than 200,000 patients